It's common knowledge that spending time outdoors surrounded by nature promotes feelings of wellbeing. But did you know simply decorating your indoor space with houseplants can provide similar perks? Studies reveal living with indoor plants boosts mood, alleviates stress, and enhances general life satisfaction. Here's how making your home a personal jungle can literally make you happier.
The Science-Backed Benefits of Indoor Plants
Researchers have identified both psychological and physiological benefits provided by surrounding yourself with indoor greens. Having plants in the home:
- Lowers anxiety and fatigue by up to 37% according to studies. Their soothing natural beauty provides a comforting effect.
- Reduces stress by regulating heart rate, blood pressure, and other vitals that spike during stressful events or tasks.
- Improves overall wellbeing, mood, and outlook on life according to surveys. 94% of plant owners report being happier and more optimistic.
- Increases memory retention and productivity by up to 15% as plants have been shown to help people focus.
- Purifies indoor air of toxins so you literally breathe easier.
Greenery Triggers an Instinctual Positive Response
Seeing and tending to plants activates an instinctual part of the human brain tied to overall wellness. Humans evolved surrounded by abundant vegetation, so on a subconscious level, we're soothed and feel protected when we incorporate plants into our cave-like modern dwellings.
Displaying Plants Boosts Creativity and Inspiration
The vibrant colors and artful details found in nature provide visual stimulation our minds seek out. We're innately drawn to the fractal patterns and diversity in houseplants and botanical prints. Surrounding ourselves with plants and their artistry fuels inspiration and creativity.
Next time you need a daily mood boost, spend time appreciating and tending to the mini indoor jungle you've created. Motivation and new passions often bloom when nurturing our botanical spaces.
Our own White Leaf Sweatshirt and Joggers